Saturday, April 19, 2014

So Many Milestones

Well, after 51 days in the hospital, I was finally discharged to go home on Wednesday, April 16. Though still in much pain, my doctor pretty much left it up to me. I was ready to go home! Griffen and Rhys were so surprised to come home from AWANA and find mom in her bedroom. Rhys' first comments to me were, "Can I see where they cut you open?" He is one brave little booger After showing him my scar, he mildly replied, "Well, I'm sure glad they didn't cut you all the way in half, mom." Me, too....

Milestone #2 happened only one short day later. On Thursday, April 17, after only four and a half days in the NICU, all three babies graduated up one floor to the special care unit!!! Babies are only moved out of the NICU when breathing is not an issue anymore. Taerik was on room air almost immediately after birth, and Keira and Drake followed shortly behind him. So, we now have our own private triplet room in the the special care nursery. It is SO nice to have all three babies together. The room also has a nice couch and recliner where I can come and stay whenever I want for as long as I want.

Milestone #3 - All three babies are feeding from a bottle already!!! One nurse commented to me that she just couldn't believe the doctors had even attempted to feed them via bottle yet, as usually these efforts don't even begin until the 34 week gestation mark. However, at only 32 weeks gestational age, all three were showing signs of readiness, and so they decided to give it a try. Sure enough, all three drank their first, second, and third bottles this way. If they cannot finish their whole bottle, the remainder is poured down their feeding tube. Drake and Keira have not had this problem yet. They always seem to want more. Taerik, however, seems to lose interest about half way through. It has been so fun for Rob and I to come and feed them at least one bottle each day

My mom was able to come down from Iowa to meet her new grandbabies this weekend. She came just in time for their 6:00 feeding and assessments. What a joy to be able to introduce her to our 3 little cuties! (My dad has been quite sick this past week, so he was not able to come. Please pray for his healing, as he has infections all over his throat and is dealing with a severe cough.)

We are STILL waiting to introduce Griffen and Rhys to their new siblings. Rhys has been dealing with what we think is major allergic congestion. Anyone with any type of cough or cold symptoms is not not allowed in the special care unit. The boys have been so eager to go and meet the babies! It is possible that we can bring them by soon and introduce them through the window, however, there will be no touching or holding until they are both completely healthy.

Once again, I cannot thank everyone enough for all the help and kindness they have shown to our family. I used to keep a list and stay on top of all the official "thank-you's", however I have totally lost track now. It seems like every time I turn around someone is offering help of some kind. From cleaning our house, to doing the laundry, to mowing our lawn, to making food, to visiting me in the hospital, to decorating my hospital room, to watching our older boys, to homeschooling our older boys, to buying our older boys their entire summer wardrobe (brand new, including Easter outfits), to giving baby gifts ---ALL IS SO MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Many have asked me if we have family close by to help us with these babies. While both Rob and my physical families live out-of-state, I answer with a loud YES. Our church family has been one of the greatest blessings in our entire lives! I could literally go on for pages, listing all the ways they have shown us Christian love, however most of them do not even desire to be recognized. Ultimately we recognize that our Christian family shows us love because of their deep love for God. And so, we remember the words of Psalm 105:1 - "O give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all His wondrous works."

 Taerik

Drake


 Keira







Rob burping Taerik

 
      Mama holding Drake                                       Keira's First clothes

Daddy feeding Keira

Mama holding Taerik after feeding him


All three back together in the same room

Grandma Bjokne feeding Keira






5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. We rejoice with you and continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise The Lord!! We are so happy for all of you. Continued prayers for your father and sons recoveries and for continued growth of the babies!! Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing. With tears in my eyes and praise to our God, I rejoice in God's Creative genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Heidi! I am so glad the babies are all doing so well. I wish I could help you all more, but I am so glad others are helping a ton. I agree, our church family is AMAZING! Love and Hugs! (It was great to see you at Cowtown!)

    ReplyDelete