2018 was filled with MUCH change and adventure! With a calendar “FULLER” than ever, this year’s highlights come unapologetically in the form of bullet points. 😊
- Listed house for sale in April. Regular showings began. "Convenience" move intended get us closer to the school where 6/7 of us travel daily.
- In May, Rob graduated with his Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling from Maranatha Baptist Bible College.
- Spent an unforgettable week in Florida, filled with many firsts for our family– airplane rides, Disney Parks, beach, speed boating & tubing (June).
- Sold house in Derby. Packed belongings. Began house hunting.
- Offered on a new house in Wichita. Inspection failed. Contract fell through. Found ourselves homeless and more than a little panicked.
- Offered on a second house! Inspection revealed “active water entry” due to major siding and window damage on the entire back side of the house. Still sounded better than being homeless. Signed contract. Moved into the “new” (and leaking) home in July.
- Three weeks later, Heidi began FULL-time employment at Sunrise Christian Academy, teaching half day K-4 in the mornings and yearbook, junior high choir, and senior high choir in the afternoons. (83 students daily. Ages 4-19. Days began with glue and glitter EVERYWHERE and students who were reminded not to color their teeth with blue markers. Days ended with 38 junior high students who sometimes needed the same reminders.) Transitioning from her 12-year tenure as a stay-at-home mom to her first year teaching proved overwhelming – to say the least. Many prayers were offered and a few hundred tears were numbered by a God Who cared to count.
- Rob’s parents came for a visit and helped tremendously throughout our transition – childcare, cooking, laundry, and labeling all school supplies lifted burdens and relieved pressures.
- Heidi’s parents came for several visits and also supplied much additional help – new curtains and pictures were hung throughout entire home; closets and cabinets were cleaned inside and out; preschool classroom was decorated like something out of a magazine! Such support and love was appreciated beyond words and God was thanked often!
- Griffen entered 7th grade. Junior high football. Three advanced placement classes. Casted as Lefou in the upcoming school drama – “Beauty and the Beast.” Began church orchestra weekly on his euphonium and improved skills greatly.
- Rhys entered 5th grade. Highlights of his year included playing Winthrop in the spring production of “Music Man” and spending a week in Branson with his good friend, Wyatt.
- Triplets entered full-day K-4. Despite their love for school, shyness prevented them from speaking to their teacher. Great hope still exists for second semester. All three are learning to read and write!
- Back of our house was removed to replace all rotted out siding. Reminded kids often to stay off the scaffolding which strangely resembled a jungle gym and mercilessly remained for weeks.
- HVAC venting was completely flushed to make the air inside our new home habitable. Carpet was replaced throughout entire home. 13 new windows installed. New guttering. New doorbell. New oven. New lighting.
- Thanksgiving was spent in Branson with Heidi’s family – Grandpa and Grandma Bjokne generously provided gorgeous condo’s overlooking Table Rock Lake, a delicious feast with all the fixings, a day at Silver Dollar City, and tickets to the Sight and Sound theatre.
- December’s calendar was filled with 9 Christmas programs between church and school. Multiple parties and other events. Invited family to Kansas to celebrate Christmas….because we thought it sounded easier than traveling. Wondering if our sleep deprived logic was correct.
The alarm continues to sound each morning at 5:30 a.m. and the days are filled with activity and toil. Yet, we are thankful for a God Whose strength is made perfect in our weakness. A God Who remains steadfast and unchanging through all of life’s uncertainties. A God Who dwelt among us and understands.
With confidence in His faithfulness for 2019,
Rob, Heidi, Griffen, Rhys, Taerik, Drake, & Keira
School field trip to the pumpkin patch
Thanksgiving in Branson