Tuesday, April 15, 2014

30 Fingers, 30 Toes

These past few days have been a whirlwind. Friday night I was being wheeled down to Labor & Delivery for sever pre-eclampsia symptoms. My liver was not functioning correctly and so the doctor wanted to give the babies the second round of steroids before delivery. I was also given an IV with a magnesium sulfate drip to prevent seizures. This caused many flu-like symptoms. The doctors hoped to wait until Monday morning to deliver - primarily because I pleaded the case of my husband - a music PASTOR, who had many responsibilities on Palm  Sunday. I did not get any sleep on Friday night, due to round the clock monitoring.

Saturday, they decided to give me a little break from the monitoring so I could actually sleep, however, by Saturday night I found myself gasping for air. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't catch my breath. By 4:30 AM the doctors ordered a chest x-ray and an EKG. I was wheeled downstairs for these tests, and then we waited. By 8:00 Sunday morning, the results were in - I had fluid in my lungs and the babies were to be delivered within the hour. I called Rob, who was already at church preparing for his Sunday morning responsibilities, and told him the news. He needed to come immediately!

Sure enough, by 8:52, 8:53, and 8:54, each little life was delivered. There were a grand total of 27 people assembled in that busy operating room. We heard each baby cry (which was not promised due to underdeveloped lungs), and then got to see each one briefly before they were taken to the NICU. Not one of them needed a breathing tube!

Keira Ashleigh
Born at 8:52 AM
4 pounds, 5 ounces



Taerik Andrew
Born at 8:53 AM
4 pounds, 5 ounces



Drake Alexander
Born at 8:54 AM
3 pounds, 11 ounces



After the surgery, I was wheeled back to Labor & Delivery, where I needed to stay on the magnesium sulfate for another 24 hours. Since Rob also had some cold symptoms, neither of us was able to go see the babies until about 36 hours after their birth.

I have been dealing with some sever pain since Sunday morning. I was put on small doses of oxygen to help my lungs recover and have had to have my blood work monitored regularly to make sure that the pre-eclampsia symptoms are subsiding. At this point, I am experiencing some improvement. The first trip to the bathroom was a process of weeping with each step. Now, I can at least manage on my own without quite as much pain. I would still greatly appreciate any prayers on my behalf - that the pain would subside and that I would be able to spend more and more time with our babies.

The NICU stongly encourages skin to skin contact with preemies. Because of my pain, I had been unable to do this until today. However, this afternoon I was able to be wheeled downstairs to the NICU where I got to spend some quality time with my babies. After visiting each one briefly, I had to choose which one I would spend an hour with doing "kangaroo care." I chose Drake, and was able to snuggle with this precious little bundle for one hour of uninterrupted time. While I was doing this, Rob went over and was able to spend one hour of contact with Keira. Apparently, the nurses LOVED this, as not all the fathers are so eager to get involved. While I quietly snuggled, I guess Rob read Keira all our Facebook posts and messages, sang to her, and then read part of a book he was reading. All in all, the time spent with these two was very precious.

I cannot say enough how much all the prayers are appreciated. I would ask continued prayer for my recovery. I feel like I have much I need to do, however I have no ability in which to do anything. I also believe wholeheartedly that it is because of prayer that our babies are doing so well. As of this afternoon, both Taerik and Keira are both completely off any breathing assistance. In fact, the doctor was going to move them to the special care unit and out of the NICU, however has decided to wait for Drake to catch up with them. He is not far behind. He still has the C-Pap on it's lowest setting which just helps to keep his airways open, but does not offer any breathing assistance. They are really all doing remarkable! The Great Physician is definitely loving and caring for them each perfectly.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi! thank you so much for your update. God is good. praying. for patience as you heal, for quick healing, and for steady progress for those beautiful darlings! oh, for Rob and the two at home, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for you guys! Will pray! But man, what an amazing story of Gods care, love, provision, and blessing for your family! Much love, Smith Family (Grace)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will continue to pray especially for your pain to subside and your body to return to normal. What great news about those babies. Can't wait to see them. This has all been such a blessing, for you guys and for us that have seen how it has all come about. Thanks for sharing this wonderful segment of your life with so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I will continue praying. (Gail Moseley)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wild ride for you. It’s scary, especially when you said that your liver was not functioning well. I’m glad that everything turned out to be okay after all. Thanks to your doctor and staff who help you to get through, and to your family and friends who pray for your safe delivery. I hope you’ll recover soon so you can play with your triplets.

    Catalina

    ReplyDelete