Monday, March 10, 2014

So Much More

One thing I have determined to do for each of my children is to write and record a song for each of them. Back when Griffen was born, God had so impressed on my heart the words of Psalm 139:16  - "in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me." I was amazed to think that somehow God had protected this perfect little baby and led him to our home. He had rescued him from a bad situation and created a good plan for each day of his life. Based on these lessons, I wrote Griffen a song entitled You Numbered All My Days.

When Rhys was born, our journey to a finalized adoption was quite different. While we were able to take him home directly from the hospital, we soon found ourselves dealing with a corrupt adoption agency. Mere weeks after Rhys' birth, they were closed down by the FBI for fraud. With the CEO in prison and the employees all dispersed, this agency, who took our $29,000, closed down without giving us any of our needed paperwork. We entered a year-long ordeal in which we had to acquire additional help to legally complete his adoption. In the end, his adoption into our family cost around $33,000. This was the first loan we had ever taken out in our lives (aside from our mortgage). His adoption cost MUCH. Much stress, much time, and much money. As I contemplated all of that, I was reminded of Paul's worlds in I Corinthians  6:20 - "For you were bought with a price." Christ paid MUCH more for me than anything we ever paid for Rhys. And why? It was all because of love. We often say that while Rhys may have been expensive, he is priceless! The song I wrote for Rhys is entitled, The Price He Paid For Me. (I should also add that God provided for all our expenses within about 6 weeks of Rhys' birth.)

Back in the summer of 2011, God once again pricked our hearts regarding adoption. We had received a check from the government for $20,000 in back dated adoption credits. We had been making double mortgage payments for almost 4 years already and so we had many projects that were on hold. When the money arrived, we were overjoyed to think that we could finally address some of them. The list included some new furniture, a family vacation, saving for a "new" car, and starting up retirement accounts. About that time Rob and I had started reading a book entitled, A Quest For More by Paul David Tripp. The primary thrust of his book is that our lives were meant for so much more than fulfilling our personal desires. God intends to do great things in our lives. He has big plans to use us. And yet, too often we do not allow Him to do so because we are so focused on the temporal. Through prayer and the influence of this book, Rob and I decided that this money would be far more effective in trying to impact the life of one more child than could ever be accomplished through new furniture, cars, or vacations. And so, with those lessons in mind, I wrote a song entitled So Much More. Before we even had another child, I had already written and dedicated this song to them.

As some of you may be aware, our family has a small music ministry called Forever Be Sure. This past August we recorded another CD entitled Still You Satisfy. Well, after months of hard work and editing, we are pleased to announce that it is finally complete. Today marks the album drop for digital distribution. (You can find it at CD Baby and iTunes, if interested.) The physical discs are being printed and will be available by March 21. The track below is my sister, Heather, and I singing So Much More - one of 17 tracks on the new CD. While I wrote this song long before we knew anything about these triplets, I am amazed at how well it testifies to our journey. God had so much in mind for His chosen people, Israel, but all too often they forfeited those blessings because of their sin. Time and time again, God reminded them that if only they would turn to Him, He would do amazing things. I can almost hear God saying something similar to us today. "May your life not be less than what I know is best. Keep your hands lifted high seeking more." Based on Psalm 81, I trust this song will be a blessing to you.

"Open your mouth and I will fill it.... [I will] fill you with the finest of wheat, and with honey from the rock I [will] satisfy you."  (Psalm 81:10, 16)

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow Heidi.....this song is truly a treasure.....as well as your continuing blogposts. I enjoy each and everyone. A true testimony to what God is doing in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very best to you.
    Article and song is a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful song!!! It was a huge blessing, today. - Grace Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abriel sang along and raised her hands. :-) She loved it too! - Grace Smith

    ReplyDelete