Tuesday, March 18, 2014

In This Week's News.....

Each Sunday, my MFM doctor reviews my charts and comes and meets with me in my hospital room. Every week, changes are made based on my statistics. After discovering Drake's heart arrhythmia, he recommended 4 sonograms each week, plus the regular lab work and other daily monitoring. However, after ruling out all the major causes for this abnormality, he has now moved me back to sonograms twice weekly. I was also given permission this last week to walk short distances in my wing of the hospital. I can now walk on my own to the lobby, the craft room, and the mail drop box. Even better, I was given a pass which allows Rob to take me in a wheelchair for a 30 minute "walk" either outside or around the hospital. This is a HUGE treat!

As was expected, my blood pressure has continued to slowly creep upwards. As of today, my meds are triple what I was taking originally. The danger zone in which delivery will be considered imminent is 160/105. So far I have not exceeded the 143 mark. This is monitored 6 times each day and meds can be increased as needed. While the doctors had been talking about still trying to get me to the 36 week mark, on Sunday it was confirmed that I will not be allowed to go past 34 weeks (assuming I can make it that far). The 34 week mark is May 1.

While I had already taken a blood glucose test in earlier pregnancy, the doctors ordered a second one on Monday morning. Well, I failed it. To confirm a diagnosis, a 3 hour glucose test was ordered for this morning. I failed that one, too. They needed my blood-sugar level to be under 140, but mine had spiked up to 177. So, as of today, I have now officially been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I can't say that anyone was surprised. I was told early on in this pregnancy that with three babies I would be at risk for absolutely everything. It is very hard for the body to keep up with the demands of three babies needs. As with preeclampsia, gestational diabetes is expected to go away upon delivery. At this point, it seems I will need to follow a strict diet, take blood tests four times each day, and begin taking yet another medication. If things get worse, I will also require insulin shots.

Despite this week's setbacks, I still have much to be thankful for. And, since I am commanded to give thanks in everything (I Thess. 5:18), that is what I will do. Last weeks blessings include:

1. I got to eat the first half of my box of chocolate Swiss Rolls before my "Happy Stash"  was considered off limits.
2. Three 30 minute wheelchair rides outside this past week.
3. A memory foam mattress on top of my hospital bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Two home cooked meals that my family got to eat together in the 4th floor lobby.
5. A large ministry project that makes me feel useful. (Rob wants the church music library cataloged and set up a way for me to do it from the hospital.)
 

5 comments:

  1. I am praying for you Heidi and those babies! I still want to come see you, my life has just been crazy lately. Glad your spirits are up and you get to go outside some and enjoy the spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and glad you have made it safely this far! I love the great attitudes in your post. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John and I continue to think of you all and to pray for you. I know you are in the hearts and minds of everyone who knows you...and that there are a gazillion prayers going up on your behalf! Since you are lovingly blanketed in prayer...may you securely rest in Him!

    Love,
    The Hogelands

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continuing to think about and pray for you and your sweet family! I can relate to the diagnosis of GD (but, with just one babe, of course...)...definitely not fun, but hey...all the dietary restrictions are well worth it...considering the babies health and the post-pardum "slim" down. ;) It helps! Praying, praying, praying! Thankful for your testimony and all the blessings the Lord has showered upon you this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, you are doing a great job! (So happy to hear you get to go outside now!!)

    ReplyDelete