Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Milestone #1 - 24 weeks!!!




We have finally made it to milestone #1. Twenty-four weeks marks the time at which a baby is viable outside the womb. While babies born at this period will likely need to spend months in the NICU and can face a variety of medical concerns, the national success rate for their survival is 50%. However, at the Wesley Medical Center, which is where we will be delivering, the success rate is 70%. So, while we do not want to deliver any time soon, this certainly provides some sort of peace and reassurance. Many have asked me when I am due. Well, that is a very tricky question. Since there are so many complications that can arise with triplets, we are just told to aim for certain milestones. They are -



  • 28 weeks (March 20) - While the babies would still need to be in the NICU for some time, the success rate of survival is near 100%.
  • 32 weeks (April 17) - The average triplets are born at this time.
  • 36 weeks (May 15) - At this point the babies are considered full-term and would hopefully need little to no time in the hospital. 



Today, we had sonogram #8. This was a longer and more intense appointment. The MFM (maternal-fetal medicine) doctor and the technician both did the scans and looked at just about every organ. As we sat and watched the blood flow through the umbilical cord and watched the 4 chambers of each heart pumping blood, I was amazed at what a mighty God we serve! He truly is a wonderful Designer! While the babies are moving and turning all the time, today all three of their heads were lined up together in a row. We just had to share this picture of them all together. (This picture labels each of their heads.) 



Each baby is doing awesome! Their current stats are - 
Keira - 1 pound, 9 ounces
Drake - 1 pound, 12 ounces
Taerik - 1 pound, 13 ounces

Beginning today, the MFM doctor wants me to come in for sono's every week. In fact, they handed me a printout of all my appointments through May.On top of that, he wants me to start seeing my OB every week, as well. His primary concerns are - 
  • My blood pressure - While I was given a prescription many weeks ago,  he told me I could hold off taking it until my blood pressure rose above 140. Up to this point, I have not taken any. However, starting tomorrow I will need to begin these meds. While my OB stated various concerns regarding my blood pressure, my MFM doctor is primarily concerned with my eyes. He says that high blood pressure can lead to certain eye problems and so he is handling my situation very cautiously.  
  • Preeclampsia - My high blood pressure could also be a sign of preeclampsia. So far, I have had no other symptoms of this, however they will be screening me regularly from now on. 
  • Preterm labor - So far, so good. However, this is a common cause of premature delivery. They will now begin measuring my cervix every week to monitor this. At whatever point early labor starts, I will likely be put on hospitalized bed rest and steroids.   

I so much appreciate your continued prayers on my behalf!!! We are excited to finally be this far along and continue to pray that God would allow us to go much further. One technician told us today that we are happiest parents of triplets she's ever seen. Well, we certainly have much to be happy about!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment