Wednesday, February 26, 2014

24 weeks, 6 days

Well, now that I suddenly seem to have SO MUCH MORE time on my hands than I did three days ago, I might actually get around to writing blog posts more often. So, here's the latest scoop -
I am officially on complete hospitalized bed rest (with bathroom privileges only) for the duration of this pregnancy. I am able to sit up and move to different chairs in my room, however, there is to be no walking. The more I read and talk to people, the more I have come to understand that the benefits of this limitation greatly aid in carrying the babies for as long as possible. In fact, my blood pressure has already gone down. :)
For the first night of my hospital stay, I was hooked up to all kinds of monitors. However, the babies were doing so great that they were able to be removed within about 14 hours. The current plan, as it has been explained to me, is -
1. My MFM meets with me weekly for evaluation.
2. My OB checks in with me just about every day.
3. Nurses monitor my vitals 3 times each day.
4. Nurses monitor the babies vitals 3 times each day.
5. Blood draws will be taken weekly to monitor any growing effects of the preeclampsia.
6. Sonograms will be performed twice each week.
I have also already had very informative meetings with the NICU doctor, the chaplain, the nurse navigator, several on-call doctors, and a host of nurses. While the risks are high, the goal is still the same - to keep these babies inside as long as possible.
While I am still learning all the in's and out's of preeclampsia, the basic premise is as follows. Preeclampsia is a disease that only occurs during pregnancy and is only cured by delivery. It is diagnosed by large amounts of protein in the urine. While kidney function and blood pressure are affected, the hope is that it does not progress to harm other internal organs. The primary concerns are liver function, headaches, changes in vision, lowered fetal movement, placental abruption, contractions, and bleeding. Cases can get so severe that the disease can cause stroke, seizure, and even death. I currently only have mild preeclampsia. The doctors have explained to me, however, that if things progress to the severe stage, they will deliver the babies immediately. Preeclampsia is quite common in multiple pregnancies and is monitored very closely.
I am feeling great! In fact, I was quite surprised when the nurse called with my lab results. I really have none of the symptoms or pain that can accompany this disease. Please pray that this continues!
"In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thess. 5:18)
*Griffen's surgery went great. Rob bought him a little Lego set and by the time he got home he was putting it together.
    
*I was so happy to learn that Rob and the boys can visit anytime. They are even allowed to spend the night in my room. I think we might try that out this week sometime. They came last night and we all put together a 3D puzzle of the Empire State Building.
*When you cook as bad as I do, the hospital food tastes great!
*Our family is SO grateful for all the friends who have offered help during these next few months. From homeschooling, to child care, to laundry, to cleaning ---- ALL is very much appreciated!!!
*I am supremely grateful for all the prayers on my behalf and for a God who hears!

4 comments:

  1. Twenty Five weeks! Each and every week is a milestone! Hurray! I know a 25-weeker who is 18mo now and PERFECT. Absolutely perfect. :-) Praying always every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heidi, I will miss seeing you at church. So glad you are in such good care and that the babies are thriving! I will keep praying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent 7 1/2 weeks on bed rest in a high risk wing of a women's hospital with a complete central placenta previa. My son is now 19 years old. It was a very scary time but it built my faith as nothing else before or since. May your time also be a blessing and a faith builder. Shine the light of Jesus as you have opportunity. The world needs your hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get in big trouble from all my friends praying for you guys if I don't post updates. :) Glad you're well!!!

    ReplyDelete